As we approach the first days of Spring hopefully we have heard the last of the “Beast from the East” and the “Mini Beast or Beast from the East II”. After the cold snaps we have had over the last couple of months we are all looking forward to some glorious spring days and the cold weather will be long forgotten.
What about when you open the winter fuel bill? If you have heat escaping through your roof or you are not properly insulated you may have a bigger bill than the one you were expecting.
Reasons why your fuel bill may have increased this winter?
There are lots of reasons that you heating bill could increase:
- you may be losing heat through poorly sealed or aging windows or doors
- cracks in the walls or ceilings can allow your warm air to literally seep out into the garden
- you may be increasing your thermostat to compensate for the cold days and nights when your thermostat should already be regulating the temperature of your home
- you may have damaged roof tiles, shingles or damaged weatherproofing letting heat escape
- you may not have sufficient loft insulation
What can I do to reduce the amount of heat escaping from my home?
There are some simple ways to prevent heat loss:
- ensure windows are doors are draught proofed and use heavy duty curtains over windows and doors if needed
- prevent warm air escaping through the chimney by using a chimney balloon
- ensure loft insulation is still effective
- check for gaps in floor boards
- make sure that all your roof tiles, shingles and weatherproofing are in good condition
If you bill has increased and you suspect your roof may be damaged or that your loft insulation isn’t sufficient we can help you with the maintenance of your roof. Act while the weather is good to be sure you avoid those higher than normal bills next year.