New Series: Tips for maintaining your roof over winter
Part 3. End of winter checks
We gave you some tips aimed to help you look after your roof in winter in some of our previous blog posts.
We know it’s a good idea to check for damage caused throughout the year that could cause you problems through the winter. The effects of damage in winter can cause problems that are at best inconvenient and at worst, damaging to health, your goods or very costly. As the weather is just about to take a turn for the better, or maybe for the wetter, spring is a great time to assess the roof for fresh damage caused by ice and wintery storms!
What to check your roof for as we approach spring?
- Roof tiles, have any been lost or damaged?
- Have any cracks appeared in the guttering caused by frost and ice?
- Have fixings broken causing loose guttering?
- Look around chimneys, conservatories and roof joins for damage to flashing.
- Is the membrane still in good condition on a flat roof? try not to do this too closely as walking on a flat roof can be damaging.
- Are ridge tiles in good condition?
- Do your chimney stacks look in good condition?
Of course, if you are doing this we cannot stress enough that care should be taken if using ladders and if in doubt then ask a professional.